Bios of Key Ciphertex Team Members
Mr. Jerry Kaner, Ciphertex Founder and President
Jerry Kaner brings a vast amount of experience and expertise to Ciphertex. His career in hard-drive technologies, data recovery, data security, and computer/digital forensics has shaped his vision for Ciphertex and its unique combination of products and services. As a Computer Electronics Engineer from Technion Institute of Technology, Jerry began his career developing compact, high-speed hard drives. Here are just a few of his accomplishments:
- Led one of the first teams that developed sophisticated storage systems (hard drives) used in military satellites
- Used his proprietary technologies to double the capacity of IBM and Memorex drives
- Co-founded Brand Technologies, designing & manufacturing high-speed, fast access hard drives
- Contracted by one of the largest US banks for disaster recovery, recovering 90%+ of the data from 11,000 fire-damaged drives (initiating the first standards for court-approved data)
- Consulted with the FBI & Secret Service, developing specs for data forensic capturing systems
- Pioneered the development of forensically sound data capturing systems for the FBI, Secret Service, Interpol and many other law enforcement agencies around the world
- Worked closely with the Forensic Science Service, a UK Government agency, developing one of the most powerful cellular data capturing systems still used today
- Set up and provided data forensic training to law enforcement agencies around the world
- Founded Logicube, Inc., a leader in data duplication and computer forensics
Mr. Kaner´s work in breakthrough, hardware technologies, data recovery, data security, and computer forensics have given him a unique perspective on today’s essential need for securing data. Today, Mr. Kaner leads the Ciphertex team of engineers, product developers, and data security and digital forensic consultants. The company is also backed by an international team of technology partners using hardware encryption to secure business, law enforcement, education, government and military information.
Dr. Stan Stahl, Managing Director of Ciphtertex Information Systems Security Services
Dr. Stan Stahl is a true pioneer in the field of information security. During the course of his career Dr. Stahl secured teleconferencing at the White House, databases inside Cheyenne Mountain, and the communications network controlling our nuclear weapons arsenal. He has served on information systems security advisory boards providing policy guidance to the White House, NSA and NIST.
Dr. Stahl is Managing Director of Ciphtertex Information Systems Security Services. He leads a highly skilled team of senior information systems security managers whose experience extends from managing the security of the IT infrastructure all the way to the Board Room. This highly mobile team has senior-level management experience and leadership capabilities to assist clients in the design and implementation of action-focused information security improvement programs. His expertise includes a comprehensive understanding of ISO 27001-27002, HIPAA, GLBA, PCI DSS, and the myriad of information security and privacy laws emerging throughout the world.
Dr. Stahl earned his Ph.D. in mathematics from The University of Michigan. He speaks and writes regularly on information systems security and has articles in both the 5th and 6th editions of the Information Security Management Handbook. Dr. Stahl currently serves as President of the Los Angeles Chapter of the Information Systems Security Association.
Mr. Brad Maryman, Ciphertex Managing Director of Data Forensic Services
Mr. Maryman spent 29 years as Supervisory Special Agent with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). During this time, he conducted and supervised investigations, served as an Information Systems Administrator and Security Programs Manager. He has also served as Chairman and Member-at-Large of the advisory board to the Director of the FBI on computer and information systems.
Mr. Maryman also has a wide−range of electronic discovery experience in recovering and processing electronic records produced by a broad variety of computer operating systems and applications. He has testified extensively in criminal and civil matters and provided depositions and affidavits in support of civil litigation efforts.
He leads Ciphertex Data Forensic Services, managing a highly skilled and seasoned team of Data Forensic Examiners with extensive experience performing technical, training and investigative services for U.S. and international agencies as well as Fortune 1000 companies. This team has conducted forensic data acquisitions, retrieval, and analysis on an extensive variety of digital evidence ranging from electronic business records and communications to network logs and encrypted files.
"From litigation support to cyber response matters," explains Maryman, "our team has not only been there and done that, we lead the way."